Do I have to pay taxes twice if I buy a car out-of-state? You only pay sales tax based on where you register your new vehicle. You do NOT pay sales tax twice; you only owe the tax at the rate where you live.
How do I register an out-of-state vehicle in Washington?
- A Vehicle Certificate of Ownership (Title) Application (Form TD-420-001) that is signed by all owners of the vehicle.
- The out-of-state vehicle title (If the vehicle is held by a lienholder, ask them to send to you a copy of the front and back of the title).
How much does it cost to register an out-of-state vehicle in Washington? Among the charges, which all car owners have to pay, is a $30 basic registration fee, a variable fee based on the weight of the car, and various services fees. Owners of electric vehicles pay an additional $150 a year to support road projects.
How do I transfer a out-of-state title in Washington State?
- A completed out-of-state vehicle title transfer form.
- The original vehicle title.
- An odometer disclosure statement (if applicable)
- A bill of sale (if required)