Can I buy a car in Washington and register it in another state? Can I buy a car in one state and register it in another? Yes. The registration process is different in each state, however you can buy a vehicle in one state and register it in your home state. You’ll need to make sure the vehicle can pass your state’s emissions test and road worthiness inspection.
Do I have to pay taxes twice if I buy a car out-of-state? You only pay sales tax based on where you register your new vehicle. You do NOT pay sales tax twice; you only owe the tax at the rate where you live.
What do you need to buy a car in Washington state?
- Bill of sale.
- Vehicle title.
- Odometer disclosure statement.
- Your valid Washington driver’s license.
- Emissions Testing Report, if applicable.
- Form TD-420-001 (Vehicle Certificate of Ownership (Title) Application).
- Payment for taxes and fees.
How do I transfer a out-of-state title in Washington state?
- A completed out-of-state vehicle title transfer form.
- The original vehicle title.
- An odometer disclosure statement (if applicable)
- A bill of sale (if required)